Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Quilt Sampler Update






As promised in my last post, here is "something about quilting." This is a small quilt approximately 24" square and one of my UFO's. For some time, I have meant to finish the quilting on this little "sampler." My original thought was to applique a quilt resembling a cross-stitch sampler. This is what I came up with. There is a cow, as we used to live out in the country and raised cows. There is a cat, because Ethel, our cat, allows us to live in his house. (Yes, Ethel IS a male...it's a long story!) There are birds because this is Bird Nest on the Ground! And, there are chickens...well, I am deathly afraid of them since I was attacked by a large rooster when a small child....I guess I'm trying to face the fear! It is a combination of applique and embroidery with yo-yos used as flowers. I made the alphabet using my own handwriting. The tree has an appliqued trunk and embroidered branches and leaves. I mixed the strands of DMC floss to help give the leaves some light and dark color. Notice that I quilt on a Grace Quilting frame...my favorite way to quilt. This frame was purchased when I received a commission from the Dept. of Arkansas Heritage to design and make a 10'x6' quilt for their office reception area. The quilt would never have been finished without this wonderful quilt frame. I love the quilting process and would have had this sampler finished long ago, if not for a couple little things such as eye surgery, a hysterectomy, and other things making the water a little rough around here. But, as happens if you are patient....the waters smooth out. So, with any luck at all, the quilt should be finished just in time for the guild quilt show this fall. Ya think??? Pat

2 comments:

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Thank you for stopping by! Your quilts are exquisite. I also enjoyed your garden pics as where I live, there is nothing blooming yet! The trees still don't have leaves. Hope you visit me often and I sure enjoyed visiting you!

Christine said...

Hi Pat, I've popped over from Sharon B's In a Minute Ago and I'm enjoying your blog immensely. I too have a cat named by the opposite sex. Bob is a lovely female cat, one of my girls thought Bob-cat was a funny name for our "animal rescue society" cat. She's the most gorgeous personality, although she was sick for a while a now needs anti-fitting medication daily. She is featured on a couple of posts on my own blog, so I hope you'll pop over and have a look too.
Hooroo,
Christine in Sydney Australia
http://missmuffettwo.blogspot.com/

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.