Friday, November 7, 2008

A Victorian Knitting, Sewing or Shopping Tote






Last year when I went to Houston to take part in the Quilt Festival, I bought a kit and pattern for a "Victorian Knitting and Sewing Tote"by Sue Spargo. I fell totally in love with the sample I saw there, so was determined to make it. The kit included everything except the lining, the batting and the buttons. Well, I thought....someplace to use some of those vintage buttons I have been collecting!

Shortly after the trip, I decided to make the bag and decided it would be a great bag to take to Houston this year to carry all my shopping items. Unfortunately, I didn't get to go to Houston this year. So, my bag is unused to this point. Not to worry, it will go around now holding my knitting and sewing projects....it even looks great hanging in the sewing room...or where I have it - in one of my bedrooms. It's a large, wonderful bag.

If you are interested in making one....go to www.suespargo.com...and there you can purchase the pattern. Sue also has a blog.....SueSpargo.blogspot.com. She has lots of other types of bag patterns.

This wonderful bag is made from wool fabric which is pieced on the front, with wool applique and embroidery in the center square. I actually bought it because I liked the style and went nuts over the upholstery fabric that makes up the back of the bag. It is simply gorgeous! The bag is 21" wide, 14" high and 5" deep. Huge! It will hold lots of wonderful "stuff." I used vintage buttons that are 1 1/2" or 2" in diameter. There is one button at the top center of the inside pocket. It is a beautiful 1 " leaf button, so pretty, although you won't be able to tell it from this photo. Everyone always remarks on the buttons.

With winter coming...just touching this totebag will be a pleasure, not to mention using it, or even just looking at it!
Hope you enjoy it too! Have a great day! Pat

6 comments:

Judy said...

Oh Pat I love the bag and have been looking for one. I am on my way to visit Sue.

Unknown said...

Cute tote!

Isabella said...

Love it Pat the fabric looks really nice and rich just lovely

Gayle said...

I'm so glad you shared the blog and pattern source. I love the binding/trim that was used on this bag. It is gorgeous.
We're having a rainy day so I have been working on UFOs and will share them later. Hope you are having a beautiful day.

Jackie said...

There's always next years Houston.And you get to just look and admire it until then.Its lovely

Jacky said...

Pat your Victorian tote is beautiful...I love the little stitchery and the lovely rich fabrics.

Hope you get to Houston next year.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.