Monday, May 10, 2010

Quilt: "The Way to a Friend's House is Never Long"






Early this morning, I was in the quilt closet, trying to choose something to show you. As you know, I'm not getting any quilting done these days, but really need to, so I thought a trip to the quilt closet would sort of spur me along into at least thinking about quiltmaking.

So, here's the quilt I decided to show you...one made for a quilt challenge at our quilt retreat...way back in 1991. It is 28 1/2 inches x 30 inches. The rules of the challenge were to use a floral print fabric 'somewhere,' to which you could add up to five other fabrics. I used the reverse side of the house roof to make the girl's hair. And, I used the reverse side of the 'wall' to make the one inch border and the inside of the arch.

The 'theme' fabric...that floral print required....is what the bushes up front are made of, along with the leaves, the dress, the hat, the basket, and the house.

My favorite part of the quilt is the shoes and the overskirt. I appliqued the legs and feet of one piece of pink fabric, then painted the shoes on. I needed to 'touch up' the shoes with a bit of paint....wouldn't you know I'd accidentally get a dot of black paint on the path! That is why there are embroidered flowers on the path....to cover up the black dot. Even after that, I still loved the shoes! The overskirt is a wide piece of lace which I sewed into the bodice of the dress, then appliqued the sides, leaving the hem free so you can see the dress beneath. It was fun.

The heart at the top has inked words and a leaf drawing. The leaves hanging on the vine are tiny and appliqued from the theme fabric....the vine itself done in embroidered chain stitch. I'm thinking if I did this piece over again today...it would look completely different. I know I would use more interesting fabrics....but, hey...it's what I knew to do then.

And, the way to a friend's house...never really seems long, does it....so from my house to yours, my friend, have a really nice Monday! take care, pat

7 comments:

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Ohhhhh, that is adorable! I love it. And the little dress peeking out from the lace... so sweet! Love the hat, too.

Francien said...

And that very beautiful quilt is in a closet Pat??..whauw...its absolutly lovely..you are an artist with the needle..the tiny appliqué leaves...the skirt..well..the whole quilt is awesome!!!like to see all your quilts from that closet!!..greetings and have a good week....Francien.

Riet said...

Ohhh wowwwww Pat,so BEAUTIFUL.

Hugs Riet.xx

Vivian said...

What a great little quilt! It makes me want to hurry and make one too. But, I need to finish what I am working on. lol I love adding texture to quilts.

Quiltgal said...

I love the hanging and the sentiment.

Barbara C said...

What a charming quilt. I love the little girl's apron.

Enjoy your day. We're having lots of rain here this week.

Jaybird said...

MANY years ago, my Mom cross stitched that saying on wall hangings for both of my Grandmothers. After they passed away, Mom got both "pictures" back. After she passed away I got both of them. One day a couple of years ago, Stephen asked what I did with them, so one of them went to live with him....and the story lives on.....

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.