Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"Memories of Laura," a Quilt






I've just been visiting with a friend via telephone and she was inquiring as to whether I was well as I hadn't posted for a while. She's right....it's been several days. I am fine. What with the hot weather and things happening around the Nest, I've just been kind of slow. It's nice to know someone missed my posts, but on the other hand, it adds to my 'guilt' when I fail to post often.
So, to you out there who take time to see what's happening at Bird Nest on the Ground....thank you so much. Hopefully when the weather cools and FALL, my very favorite season, arrives...well, I'll be all energetic again. What about you?

Yesterday I got a call from my sister saying my brother-in-law, (who has a very bad ankle sprain and can't work) would love to come here for a few days so he and the old navy man can visit. How he is traveling on a train with crutches and a 'boot', I don't know, but he is, as of this moment, on the Amtrack train from McGregor,Texas to Little Rock. We will pick him up around midnight tonight. (What a crazy schedule...he leaves at 3:15 a.m. on Sunday morning!) Never having ridden on Amtrack, the timing was a shock. But, we will deal with it and hopefully, the two Richards will have a nice visit. (Yes, my sister and I both married men named Richard!)

Anyway, I thought I should post something before the day was over, as I'm sure another post is not going to happen around here until maybe Monday or Tuesday. Just so you know. And, don't worry....I'm ok.

Here is one of my favorite quilts. I made it in 1988. It is the first quilt I ever made without using a pattern designed by someone else. I don't recall showing it here before, so if I have...well, just pretend I haven't! This quilt is 45" x 52" and is entirely hand made. It is named "Memories of Laura" because I thought of Laura on "Little House on the Prairie" as I designed it. The blue of the hearts and ribbon, plus the sky, were fabrics hand-dyed by my friend, Mary Morgan. She is no longer with us, but I think of her each and every time I take this quilt out of the quilt closet. She always encouraged me to do things "the way I wanted to" and I've always appreciated her advice. She was a great quiltmaker and I learned a lot from her.

When I was working on the borders of this quilt, I thought that blue print border would be the edge of the quilt....after I decided that binding that edge would be a pain....well, I just appliqued it to the solid fabric and called it done. I like the way it turned out. One of my other favorite things about the quilt is the little pocket on the pinafore....you can actually place a tiny thing in that pocket...like a favorite button or some such. I never have though, preferring to embroider a stem of flowers there. I also love the cat.

So, there you are....another quilt from my heart to yours. Hope you stay cool and safe and come to visit again!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to check on me and I'll be back asap. Take care, pat

6 comments:

Peonies & Magnolias said...

It is so beautiful and your embroidery and quilting is gorgeous. I can see why it would be one of your favorites. Have a wonderful week.

Sandy

Melissa said...

I love it. The colors are gorgeous and I love Laura and....

FredaB said...

This is truly gorgeous. Your handwork is very good and the quilting divine. I have only done a little bit of applique but did enjoy it.

Have a good visit and see you back next week.

Hugs

FredaB

Vivian said...

I do love this quilt. It brings back such memories of sitting and watching Little House on the Prairie with my family as a child.

Raewyn said...

This is beautiful!! When I first saw it I was going to ask about the pattern you used!! Obviously there isn't one - absolutely lovely!

Vicki Boster said...

This is an adorable applique quilt - you are so very talented - the work that this must have taken - oh my goodness - what a creation!

Vicki

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.