Friday, July 22, 2011

The Downtown Studio






Hey there! A Happy Friday to you all....especially Mr. G....who has appeared in several of my recent posts. He turned 60 today. Many happy returns of the day, Mr. G., in good health and plenty of quilting and laughter!

I wanted to show you some photos I took earlier this morning at the Downtown Studio. For those of you new to my blog....I work several days a week at Second Saturday Studio.....which is in Downtown Searcy. Since I have a studio in my backyard (which I call "Bird Nest on the Ground"), I have taken to calling Second Saturday Studio....'my' downtown studio. Just to keep myself straight. I must admit, sometimes I have to remember where I am....and, sometimes more importantly....where my 'stuff' is. So, as I mentioned in my last post....paint downtown, sew at home.

As you can see, it's early....there's no traffic at all yet. The best time to get a photo of any kind on this street is very early....or very late. And, it's HOT, so the earlier, the better. Notice that these buildings are old. The one we are in is very old, but has been 'modified' over the years. I've managed to take photos with my precious little PT Cruiser parked at the curb. So, if you look toward the back of the car...that's West Arch. If you look past the front of the car....that's East Arch. Looking East, the building with the green awning is the 'old' Coca Cola Building. It hasn't seen a coke in many years. Right now it houses furniture from the store on the corner....on the right hand side where you see the Stop signs. On the left side of the street, just past the Stop signs, is the White County Courthouse. It's the oldest Courthouse in Arkansas STILL being used as a courthouse. That makes us one block away from the center of town.

You can see our little sidewalk sign indicating where the studio is....made by Micah's Dad. It's a blackboard, so we can change it to say different things. You can see Second Helping to our left. Our friend, Allie, owns it....a very sweet girl. The smells from there, thank heaven, have no calories! It's a delightful place to pick up delicious casseroles, etc. Upstairs we have a couple of really cool photographers at Zoe Portrait Art. Cheryl and Maggie. So, there are three businesses in this building....all run by women trying to maintain families, a business (sometimes two) and add a little something to the life of downtown Searcy.

I've also chosen to show you one of the latest paintings in the studio. However, this one is not for sale, as my son, Scott, painted this a while back and I just framed it last week. Kelly and I are having a discussion as to which of our homes it should go to. I just love it....but truthfully, it does 'go' with her house more than it does mine. He painted this one on a whim.....Kelly and I decided that her Dad, her brother, she and I, should have a little paint fest in our backyard and he painted this one and one more...I'll show it to you after I've framed it. It was a fun day! I think he should carry on with the painting...although I haven't talked him into it yet.

So, there you go, some photos to show you just what I'm talking about when I mention the 'downtown' studio. Y'all have a wonderful weekend...stay cool! pat

4 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

NEAT! Is your studio large enough to hold classes? I have often thought if I had a space I would like to hold classes, maybe one for kids and one for adults to learn English through learning a craft. Besides quilting ,which I have taught, I can teach woodcarving or leatherwork or beading or palnting or drawing. Wouldn't that be fun!

http://thankfullga447 said...

Great photos and I love all the information you provide. You son's painting is wonderful thank you for sharing.

Cottage Rose said...

What a great place to go and paint in.. I love the older buildings, they have so much more creature then new ones.... have a great weekend.

Hugs;
Alaura

Jim Gatling said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes and the card! I think it is so great you have a place to go and create with friends. I'm stuck here with a tailess dog that doesn't like me! LOL!

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.