Monday, October 3, 2011

And Now, For Something Beautiful!






So, I've been promising you something beautiful and here it is. I believe this is a vintage hankie, but don't know for sure. I do know it is absolutely gorgeous! I also know you will think so too. Recently, this was a gift to me from my sister-in-law, Sandy. She said she has had it for a long time, but could not remember how or where she got it. Of late, she has been 'cleaning out' things (something I should be doing), found this hanky and decided I should have it. How nice is that?

Sandy is the youngest of four children....the old navy man's only sister. There is Don, then the old navy man, then Bill, then Sandy. Considering that she was picked on as a child by those three boys, she turned out to be a very nice person and a generous one too. She is also a wonderful artist. I'll show you some of her work before the week is over.

This hanky is so delicate and finely made....I wasn't home when she brought it....she simply laid it on my kitchen table when she was visiting her brother and I found it when I came home. It should be said that I practically swooned when I saw it. Yes, swooned! Click to enlarge the photos and I bet you nearly do that too! What a gift....I am a very lucky person! Thank you, dear sister-in-law, for gifting me such a beautiful piece of embroidery!!!

For the next few days, I will be very busy....something has to be accomplished around here, but toward the end of the week, I'll post again....perhaps that artwork? Meantime, take care, pat

5 comments:

BrenWall61@gmail.com said...

It is so beautiful. Sandy knows who will cherish these things. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

fiberdoodles said...

What a beautiful new treasure! And a very thoughtful gift ;0)

Julie Fukuda said...

I have one from this same era given me by either my grandmother or great aunt. The embroidery is even heaver than yours to the point it is actually rather heavy. I can't imagine what it was made for other than to be pretty. Never could it be used for anything but show!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Made in an era when beautiful things did not need to be purposeful. Being beautiful was enough.

Lovely treasures..your gift and the giftor.

Christy said...

Oh my gosh, Pat ... someone did an amazing job on this hanky. It's just wonderful ... and what a beautiful gift! You are related to the nicest people!
Christy
botm2@yahoo.com

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.